Friday, December 19, 2008

Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening

As I was going through my diary and reading the older entries, i came upon this poem by Robert Frost.This poem always touches me deeply whenever i read it.And this is one poem from my English text book that i can never get out of my mind.I love it so much and is my most favorite poem!

It reminds me that we have to keep moving on always.On this journey called life we see beautiful places, meet people- some may be good, some are bad .But all of these things are left behind and each of us have to carry on with our personal voyages.We encounter things that tempt us to stop along our way.We cherish these things, take some rest and then again life is back to business.Nothing stays forever.Everything has to go when its time has come.

Who knows, if these things might come back on our way or not.All we got to do is keep moving on.'Coz we got dreams to fulfill, goals to meet and as the poem says..promises to keep.




"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"




Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though.
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer,
To stop without a farmhouse near,
Between the woods and frozen lake,
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake,
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep,
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

---Robert Frost.

8 comments:

neha said...

this is a very common poem..back in school when i did this poem i dint really understand wat it meant...but i had the same poem last sem and now i realise how AMAZING it is...its not just about moving on in life but abt much more!!...it really makes an impact!

and ofcousre the most important lines which i guess evrybody remembers...

WOODS ARE LOVELY DARK AND DEEP
BUT I HAVE PROMISES TO KEEP
AND MILES TO GO BEFORE I SLEEP
AND MILES TO GO BEFORE I SLEEP...

pj said...

yea its got a lot more to it...this was just my interpretation of the poem:)
do let me kno wat else it means, i wud luv to know:D

yea and the last lines are the best ones!:)

The Lover said...

Moving on...the most important but the hardest thing to do.

pj said...

easier said than done.

tp said...

as u knw...m nt a poetry person at all..but still..even i quite liked this one when i did it in skool!!

pooja said...

@tp
yea..this is a reeeaally nice poem!:)

Carmel said...

This has been once of my favourite poems right from childhood.. I think the beauty of this poem is in it's simplicity.. each thought expressed in very simple words..

pj said...

@carmel
yea simple yet so expressive!