Friday, September 11, 2009

The book seller at the station...

"Sixty rupees ka ek..sixty rupees ka ek....sidney sheldon...twilight...sixty rupees ka ek....sixty rupees ka ek..."
A little boy entered the ladies compartment with a pile of novels in his hand.The train was about to leave in about 5 minutes.

I asked this kid for 'Twilight' for one of my friends (I wonder what's the big deal about the book!!?).Now, it happened that he didn't have the book with him then and so he said...

"Madam aapko twilight chaiye??...leke aata hun"

And he got off the train and rushed to get the book for me.When he returned with the book, I realized that my friend had asked me to get 'Breaking dawn'(the newest version).

Me: "Actually mujhe 'Breaking dawn''' chaiye tha"


"woh 200 ka hai.."

Me : 'Eclipse' hain?


"nai madam woh toh nai hai..."
I didn't want to buy the book for 200 bucks so after a li'l bargaining,I told him that I didn't want the book.

It felt bad to see him go away without making a sale.At least he wasn't begging.He was earning money by the right means,by working hard.
The effort he put in, in getting the book from somewhere else was something worth admiring.

When he left, me and my friends were so touched by this incident and felt so pity for the kid.We wished we had bought something from him.But we didn't want to spend money on something we wouldn't use.



Sometimes when I see people who aren't so privileged as I am to have all the luxuries of life, I feel so grateful that God has given me so much.Leave alone luxuries these people sometimes even spend days without food.
But for me, God has blessed me with more than enough, more than I had ever asked for.And I really need to thank God for it.


As the boy left, I prayed for him in my heart.I prayed that he finds not just one but two customers for twilight!! And I am sure God must have given him lots of customers today :)

5 comments:

peter said...

The hidden mssg which i take away from this post is that;
I shudnt be cursing god for not making me Brad Bitt while the truth is that he cud have made me that Boy too.

pj said...

perfect, peter!:D...
I liked your kind of interpretation of the post...lol

Prianca said...

Innocents are punished with a sense of guilt......

have been in similar situations myself...and it feels awful to make a person sweat so much, only to find out all their efforts went in vain.
nd all we are left to do is to hope that somebody is able to make their day, if not us!

life! indeed.

Prianca said...

Innocents are punished with a sense of guilt......

have been in similar situations myself...and it feels awful to make a person sweat so much, only to find out all their efforts went in vain.
nd all we are left to do is to hope that somebody is able to make their day, if not us!

life! indeed.

PJ said...

@prianca
So true...