Monday, April 5, 2010

Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself -Matthew 6:24

Last night after writing the previous post, as I was reading a christian blog, I came upon an article.

A Jesus blog

(click on the link to read the entire article)
Jesus says, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.” (Matthew 24:35)

Your life is constantly moving, changing, evolving, flowing.Circumstances come and go.  Some of the events in your life are painful and others joyous and fun. The constant change you perceive through your senses is the source of great suffering, great unhappiness, and fear. The natural tendency is to look to the past or the future to find some happiness, success, and fulfillment—the endless grasping for happiness that always seems just out of your reach.  There is always something else to pursue a goal, a dream, an idea that will provide the happiness that you long for deep down in the depths of your being.  Rare is the one who stops this endless looking to the past or the future.

......
Since arriving here I(the writer) have met some of the most deeply loving people, people who are aware of a great secret—the great secret of Life.  In the many meetings I have attended here the common conversation is the story of life, the story of suffering that is always based on what happened in the past or what might happen in the future.  Many of these stories are deeply heartbreaking, exposing the deep suffering that people experience in life.  Each person has different experiences and circumstances that have appeared in their life, but ultimately it is the very same story you are telling yourself everyday.  


Jesus illuminates, “Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ for behold, the kingdom of God in the midst of you.’ (Luke 17:21)  Midst is in the center and all around.  What do you experience when you look into the center of your being?  

Jesus says, “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” (Matthew 6:24)  If for a moment you stop paying attention to your thoughts of the past or your thoughts of the future, what do you experience? What do you notice?  The common experience is to try and cling to the good experiences of life and get rid of or avoid the bad experiences in life.  But this endless clinging to and avoidance of is the source of deep suffering throughout the world. 



When you focus your attention on the past it is like living your life looking in a rear view mirror or looking at a mirage in the desert.  Is that past real right now in this moment?  Looking at the past or the future hides what is always here, it hides that which never changes, is always constant, always present.  Pain is part of life, but suffering is the story you are telling yourself about the pain you experience in life.  Suffering is complex and it has to be practiced to continue.


Jesus illuminates, “And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins.” (Luke 5:37)  The new wine is the essence of your life the life force that beats your heart.  If you pour your life energy into your story you will suffer, it destroys your life or the wine skin will burst.  If you remain aware of this life force and stop touching your story you are free from this endless suffering, you will be free from the endless commentary of your own mind—new wine in new wine skins.


True abundance has nothing to do with the things of this world. It has nothing to do with any emotion or feeling. In Truth, you are endlessly wealthy, endlessly abundant. You are Love itself and that Love never ends! Wow! "

I got my answer right then. Pain is inevitable but the suffering that follows can be prevented if only we try. Most of my depression has been only because I've been worrying too much about my past that doesnt matter any more or my future that I have never even seen.In the process of fretting and brooding I ignore my present which is all I have and of which I can make the most.

I remember those days when I was so involved in my training that I had no time to think about people who really don't deserve my time, emotions and thoughts.And it felt so good! All I had to think about was the job that was given to me at that moment and worry about nothing else.

And there were days (September of 2008 to be specific),with my friends, when I wasn't the I-AM-SO-LOST-IN-MY-WORLD kind of a person that I tend to be.I was the happiest at that point in life.

So from now on, no more clinging to the past or worrying about the future for the future will take care of its own worries ;)

No comments: