Sunday, July 15, 2012

Aye dil hai mushkil, jeena yahan jara hat ke jara bach ke, yeh hai Bombay meri jaan

A month after living a luxurious and peaceful life in Pune, I am back home. Yes home, in a city that I always longed to come back to.

Travelling here is such a task! No I am not just talking about the city's "lifeline" as they call it. Travelling to the closest possible place can take you a minimum of half an hour during peak hours. Pollution is on the rise but who cares. We breath in a number of toxic gases but we are so used to them now. A place to stand in the train(on one foot sometimes) is more than enough. If it rains the city is a mess and if doesn't it is still in a state of  mess. Where is the peace here? At home? Where there is  not enough water to drink or even if there is the color/stench of the water can turn you off. Mumbai is a city where everyone wants to come and see what is so good about this place that everybody praises it so much. And when they come here what does Mumbai have to offer? Roads in bad shape, plastic filled nullahs, filthy trains, walls covered with stains of pan?


I always loved the city because I was born here and have lived here for more than two decades now. But now it is too saturated! There is an immense pressure on the resources that the city can provide.
How much more can the city take?!

The place is only for people who can live despite all of its problems- wrestle each day in and out of local trains, drive around roads dug for "repairs", sweat it out in all seasons, find their way and walk through the crowd, find the beaches good and have enough money to buy a house in the city.

I know sound like an NRI right now. But honestly, my love for the city is starting to fade away.

This was the place I always wanted to live in but now I doubt it ...and I am not too happy to say that...:(


4 comments:

Jesse Alex said...

so glad to have you back :)

Mohit Sureka said...

i have grown up loving the city. can i say, this is the exact same thought going through me for over a year. its the burden of expectations out of my home which kills me.

Sach! said...

PJ,
It's always good to read you.
But yes thoughts on cities change. I have grown up in Chandigarh, I have lived every moment of it and loved every square feet but now the city is so much changed that I fear talking about it. the roads, the houses, the traffic, the outsiders, insiders.. everyone is different. :(

PJ said...

:)...you know there are a lot of things to hate about the place that means everything to you yet the heart chooses to love it...coz thats where it really lives :)