Sunday, September 15, 2013

About the Globe Trekking and Writing dream

Didn't we all, as kids were so ambitious as wanting to become pilots, scientists, artists, doctors etc?! Think of your ambitions and that makes you laugh at some of them if not all!

Well, the other day while I was travelling to work on a local train. I love that part because of a lot of reasons, one of them being - getting to observe people around me. I saw this lady sitting opposite to me with a 'Lonely Planet Magazine' bag. That sparked my interest in knowing how did she get a chance to work there, the qualification required and what work did they actually do there. I did not venture to ask because not everybody takes such questions asked by strangers on a train in a good spirit. Never mind, the point is the 'magazine' and on top of that the 'lonely planet' on the bag really caught my fancy. For some reason today , after weeks of that incident I am reminded by how I once watched the show Lonely Planet(now Globe Trekker) with such great interest and always wanted to have a job like the presenters'. I just loved the way Justin Shapiro, Megan McCormick and (sometimes) Ian Wright hosted the show. I wished I got to travel the world like they did and get paid for it too!! Travel shows (along with food shows) were always a favorite. Contrary to my ambitions, I was always a 'i-want-to-be-at-home' person. It was only when I traveled away from home for work that I realized that I can survive away from home. And although its difficult, the travelling part is always interesting and I for one need that change once in a while. Also, I had developed a knack for writing in my school days. I could write essays, articles, poem so easily while some other kids struggled at it.
But I chose to jump on to the (IT) bandwagon as I also wanted to become an engineer among other things like scientist, astronaut, astronomer, interior designer, architect.... Although, I do not regret choosing the career that I did, I still wish to write and travel. Don't know if the 'lonely plant magazine' would ever employ me, but God willing I would like to pursue my travel and writing dreams.

Probably someday a book or a magazine on the coffee table would have my article in it....well...just dreaming out loud. No harm in that right? ;)

PS. I was listening to the lonely planet theme on youtube and I still love it so much !

Blast from the past : click here 

No comments: